Skeeter syndrome refers to a significant allergic reaction to mosquito bites. Although most people will have some form of reaction to a mosquito bite, it is usually just an annoyance. However, people with skeeter syndrome are very sensitive to these bites and may develop a fever.

The common symptoms of a mosquito bite include a small red bump and itching around the bite.

However, skeeter syndrome causes a person to experience more serious symptoms. The bites tend to swell up to a very large size, and the person may also have a fever. The reaction tends to build up quickly, usually within a few hours.

There are some home remedies that may help treat symptoms of skeeter syndrome. Medical procedures such as immunotherapy may also be an option for some people.

There are several treatment options for people with skeeter syndrome. These range from simple home remedies to more involved medical procedures.

Ice and elevation

For a bite that causes a reaction in one small area of the body, start with the simplest form of treatment.

Elevating the area and placing an ice pack on it may help reduce inflammation, soothe the sensations of pain and itchiness, and reduce redness.

Oatmeal

Applying oatmeal to the skin may help relieve the symptoms of skeeter syndrome.
Applying oatmeal to the skin may help relieve the symptoms of skeeter syndrome.

Applying a mixture of cooked oatmeal to the area may also help reduce symptoms.

As a study in the found, oats have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

This might explain their beneficial effect on the skin.

Applying oats directly to the area or taking an oatmeal bath may help reduce itching and swelling and help a person find comfort.

Antihistamines

If a bite does not respond to simple home remedies, some over-the-counter (OTC) medications may help a person feel better much faster.

For instance, OTC antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help temporarily reduce itching and swelling.

Topical steroids

Some topical corticosteroid creams may also help temporarily soothe the reaction to a mosquito bite. OTC medications such as hydrocortisone (Cortaid) should be enough in most cases.

If a person knows that they have severe reactions to mosquito bites that do not respond well enough to these creams, their doctor may prescribe slightly stronger treatments.

Immunotherapy

Although the symptoms of skeeter syndrome are manageable for most people using OTC remedies, more serious cases may require medical treatment.

Allergen immunotherapy, or allergy shots, is a more permanent solution to severe allergic reactions from bug bites such as those from mosquitos.

Allergy shots work similarly to vaccines. An allergist will inject the person with very small amounts of a particular allergen. By increasing the amount of the allergen in each shot over time, immunotherapy may help the body build its own defenses against the allergy-causing proteins in mosquitos.

However, allergen immunotherapy takes time. The note that it may take as long as 18 months or more for a person to notice an improvement in their symptoms.

Also, a person may need to continue having allergy shots for 3–5 years after successful treatment.

An allergic reaction to a mosquito bite will usually heal within a few days.

Allergic reactions from skeeter syndrome come on quickly, causing symptoms of skin irritation to appear within the first few hours. Skin symptoms include:

A person may also occasionally experience a fever.

In children, these symptoms may appear in as little as 20 minutes, as a study in the found. This can be startling, but it is typically not a cause for serious concern unless the child shows signs of anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that can be fatal if a person does not receive immediate medical care.

Symptoms come on quickly, but they typically do not last very long. In general, if an infection does not occur in the area, the bite will heal and the symptoms will go away completely within a few days.

It is important to avoid scratching or dirtying the area as it heals. Severe reactions may be more prone to infection. Infected bites may turn to boils, which take longer to heal and have their own complications.

Regularly clean any bites gently with warm water and a hypoallergenic soap.